Salty toffee pretzel bars are here for your salty sweet cravings! These twisted tongue ticklers are crunchy, salty pretzels nestled in a pool of buttery caramel-like toffee, on top of a tender shortbread crust. You guys, these are the perfect snack bar: crunchy, creamy, salty, sweet, complex yet uncomplicated. Whip up a batch for your next potluck or cookie swap and surprise your friends and family with something different.
These come together quickly. Just press a simple shortbread crust into a 9×13 pan. While that’s baking up golden brown, simmer the toffee ingredients on the stove until it reaches soft ball temperature. Finally, toss in a few cups of broken pretzels, bake a few minutes and voila! Salty toffee pretzel bars!
Let’s talk about this toffee for a minute, guys. It’s not your average butter toffee (not that I’d be mad about that.) Made with honey, maple, and sugar, it’s a flavor explosion in your mouth! It’s the reason I didn’t add a drizzle of dark chocolate to these babies, to keep the flavor pure.
I hope you find these salty toffee pretzel bars as delicious as I do! They’ll please a crowd, or curb that sweet-salty tooth we all get sometimes. No judgement if you squirrel the whole pan away for yourself!
Salty Toffee Pretzel Bars
- 1 1 ⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 ⁄2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 3 ⁄4 cup 1 1⁄2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1 ⁄4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 ⁄4 cup honey
- 1 ⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 ⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 cups about 9 oz. small pretzel twists
- Prepare a 9x13 pan by lining with foil or parchment. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix the flour, salt, and sugar for the crust together, then add the softened butter. Mix either with you hand or a mixer until large clumps form. Dump into the prepared pan and spread out evenly before pressing into the pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- While the crust cooks and cools, prepare the caramel. Place all the caramel ingredients, except the pretzels, in a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil and cook until the temperature reaches 240F, soft ball stage.
- Evenly spread the crushed pretzels over the crust, then pour the caramel all over, stirring to coat if necessary. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until the caramel is bubbling at the edges. Cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting. They will keep up to one week in an airtight container.